Saturday 4 June 2016

First Impressions: Drugstore Face



Yesterday I decided to pop into Boots; I'm having a real foundation dilemma at the moment. If you didn't catch my previous blog post, I mentioned that I'd ordered loads of stuff online, but the majority I ordered was in the wrong shade! Although I loved the little mix I had going on (Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk and Illamasqua Skin Base foundation) I was getting SO bored of having to mix it before I could apply it.

I very rarely buy foundations from high street type places, I'm not a makeup snob, I promise! A few years ago I had an allergic reaction on my face and the high street brands seemed to make me a bit rashy so I ended up going towards the higher end (budget allowing) brands. However, I feel like me and my face has got to know each other a lot better. I know what type of things I shouldn't slap on and I feel like my skin appreciates that... Because of our new understanding, I decided I'd dip my toe back in the drugstore pond!

To be honest, I was only looking for a foundation, but like all of the other makeup addicts out there, I walked out with a couple of items more... I've used them all this morning so I thought I'd do a first impressions post and let you know how I've found them all, so far!


Foundation


I always used to use the Rimmel Match Perfect foundation, so I was fairly certain that Rimmel was a safe brand for my little chops! I spotted the Lasting Finish Foundation; I saw on the bottle that it promised 25-hour wear and full coverage - the two main things on my foundation checklist! Look, I know it's only been one day but I think it might be love, I'm SO happy I bought it! I feel like it has the same consistency as the Estee Lauder Double Wear (a previous favourite of mine) but for a fraction of the price! It's definitely what I'd class as full coverage, it covered the majority of my blemishes, however, I did have to go over the top with some concealer in places. I've had it on for about 12 hours and it's looking ok, I mean you can definitely still see it. Admittedly I'd probably top it up if I was going out again in the evening, but I think that would be the same with the majority of foundations I've tried! First impression rating: 8/10


Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation - £7.99


Concealer 


It took me the longest time ever to find a concealer I wanted to try and I wasn't even looking for one to begin with! I was quite happy with my NakSkiWeComCo (see my previous blog post for the explanation...). But for some reason, I was determined to leave with another concealer. I think it was because I felt like my Naked one wasn't light enough, or maybe it was because I'VE GOT A TERRIBLE ADDICTION? Anyway, whatever the reason, I walked away with the Maybelline Instant Anti-Age The Eraser Eye; I thought I'd heard Alix from ICovetThee mention it in a video, I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I'd say it's more medium coverage but definitely buildable. I like the formula as I think it feels really light on the skin which is nice for under the eye plus, it didn't sink into any of my little lines under my eye. It's light enough to be brightening, and I love the applicator, so it's ticking all the boxes for me! First Impression Rating: 7/10 

Maybelline Instant Anti-Age The Eraser Eye - £7.99


Contour


Finally, I was in desperate need for a contour kit, well desperate in first world terms... I'm still not sure if I've found the perfect one! I opted for the NYX Cream Highlight and Contour Palette; it was relatively inexpensive compared to bigger branded ones and I liked the colour of the contour shade. It's a fairly neutral brown; the formula is ok, it almost feels powdery on the skin which isn't a bad thing, but I prefer a more creamy consistency. It doesn't seem to be highly pigmented which I suppose could work if you're happy to build on it. Ah, I don't know, it just hasn't won me over yet, but I'm willing to give it another try! First Impression Rating: 5/10


NYX Cream Contour Palette - £12.00

Honourable Mention...


I also picked up some Ardell Demi Wispies and I just had to mention them! I've had them before and they are my PERFECT eyelashes. The actual lashes vary in length to give a more natural, day appropriate look but they're still full enough to wear with a dramatic eye for a night out, well they are in my opinion anyway!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my little spend up! Unfortunately, it just strengthens my argument that I am indeed a Makeup Junkie *sigh*...

Ardell Natural Lashes Demi Wispies - £4.94

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Katie Bouquet. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig